Monday, May 2, 2016
Thornapple-Kellogg High School
South Christian High School
Middleville and South Christian played some great tennis with South winning 7-1. South Christian has one of the best teams in the area and handed the Trojans their first loss of the season. The Trojans are now 10-1.
Grace Brown downed the Sailors top player in a match that lasted more than three hours. Both players played outstanding tennis. Grace won a first set tie break, but lost the second set. In the third Grace was behind 5-2, but continued to fight for every point. She was very composed as she came back to win five straight games, and the match.
We had some great matches in the doubles flights as well. All four matches were very close and points often extended with teams working for the best court position. Kenzie Kollar and Katie Hanshaw played their best match so far this season. Kari Johnson and Rachael Ranes got off to a slow start (down 3-0) in the first set but rallied to make it close in a 6-4, 6-4 contest that was very exciting and well played by both teams.
TK – 1 South Christian – 0
1. Grace Brown – won 7-6 (4), 1-6 7-5
2. Lexie Bays – lost 6-1, 6-4
3. Hayley Bashore – lost 6-0, 6-3
4. Kayla VanGessel – lost 6-2, 6-2
1. Kari Johnson and Rachael Ranes lost 6-4, 6-4
2. Michelle Lindemulder and Alex Wilkinson lost 6-3, 6-2
3. Abby Wright and Braelyn Durkee lost 6-4, 6-3
4. Kenzie Kollar and Katie Hanshaw lost 7-5, 6-3